Mika Brzezinski: Cancel the Debates

“Stand back and stand by.”

That was the end right there. That and when the President of the United States tried to undermine the election.

Some are still trying to call what happened last night—the first of three scheduled appearances by President Trump and Joe Biden—a debate. It was not. It was an assault on our democracy. The president’s rallying cry to white supremacists was a watershed moment that should stop everyone cold.

In fact, I wish moderator Chris Wallace had stopped right there, rather than continuing his hysterical jump from topic to topic as though nothing dangerous had just happened. He should have followed up; he should have asked the president to explain. He should have seen his responsibility for what it was: meeting the American people’s critical need for clarity on whether the president of the United States just supported, and encouraged, racist violence.

He didn’t. Wallace failed us—but what we saw last night was that the “debates” are failing us too.

This first broadcast was an alarming display of the president’s ability to rage through the rules—of decency and of decorum—with nobody and nothing to keep him in check. As I type this, Bob Woodward is on Morning Joe saying that Donald Trump is “assassinating this presidency.” I would add that he firebombed the debate. And it could have been prevented.

Wallace and the Debate commission should not have allowed this man to kill the fairness that is fundamental to this system. We should not allow him to steal our process and trample on our civility.

We are better than this. This should not happen again. It was an attack on our values, and that attack was allowed to go on for 90 minutes. Shame.

My take? There should be no more debates this election cycle.

If there cannot be a debate based on dignity, there should be no debate.

If there cannot be a debate based on equal time and mutual respect, there should be no debate.

If there cannot be a debate based on objective reality, there should be no debate.

If the moderator cannot cope with live fact-checking and fairness, there should be no debate.

If the moderator can’t keep the program in line, there should not be no debate.

If I were Team Biden, I would refuse to participate in another debate, and I would announce it today.

What is clear this morning is that Wallace should have cut the mic 1,000 times, as we did when Trump called into our show to defend his Muslim ban in 2015 and steamrolled us both. He should have sent the candidates off the stage and told them to come back when they were ready to respect the rules. He should have moderated. He did not.

Whether he was in shock or didn’t have the technical support to make this an informative event, it was an epic fail for our democracy. And we’re scheduled for two more.

If I were Team Biden, I would not lower Biden’s standing by having him step into another ring full of mud and quicksand. I would refuse to participate in another debate, and I would announce it today.

The real question now is: Who are we? Let’s vote for it. Debates be damned.

blank3

This content is imported from {embed-name}. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io

Source link

12 thoughts on “Mika Brzezinski: Cancel the Debates

• December 8, 2020 at 8:55 pm

I found your weblog site on google and check a couple of of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the superb operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. In search of forward to reading extra from you later on!…

• December 8, 2020 at 9:00 pm

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new surveys are added- checkbox now when a comment is added I receive four emails with the exact same comment. Could there be any way you are able to remove me from that service? Thanks!

• December 8, 2020 at 9:40 pm

Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I am impressed! Very useful info specially the last part I care for such information a lot. I was looking for this particular info for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

• December 9, 2020 at 2:41 am

Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people think about worries that they just don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

• January 18, 2021 at 5:55 pm

When some one searches for his required thing, therefore he/she wants to be available that in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.

• October 13, 2021 at 11:14 am

By way of introduction, I am Mark Schaefer, and I represent Nutritional Products International. We serve both international and domestic manufacturers who are seeking to gain more distribution within the United States. Your brand recently caught my attention, so I am contacting you today to discuss the possibility of expanding your national distribution reach.We provide expertise in all areas of distribution, and our offerings include the following: Turnkey/One-stop solution, Active accounts with major U.S. distributors and retailers, Our executive team held executive positions with Walmart and Amazon, Our proven sales force has public relations, branding, and marketing all under one roof, We focus on both new and existing product lines, Warehousing and logistics. Our company has a proven history of initiating accounts and placing orders with major distribution outlets. Our history allows us to have intimate and unique relationships with key buyers across the United States, thus giving your brand a fast track to market in a professional manner. Please contact me directly so that we can discuss your brand further. Kind Regards, Mark Schaefer, marks@nutricompany.com, VP of Business Development, Nutritional Products International, 101 Plaza Real S, Ste #224, Boca Raton, FL 33432, Office: 561-544-0719